Roasted Vegetable & Lentil Kale Salad
This recipe was written and/or compiled by Belinda Jones, CHHC, NWLC, PFC.
Yield: 6 servings
4 medium carrots (cut into bite-size)
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (divided)
1 pinch of each, salt substitute and pepper
1 tsp curry powder
1 medium red onion, wedged
1 medium red bell pepper
1 small head of broccoli
1 large bundle of kale
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3-5 Tbsp water (to thin)
1 cup cooked brown or green lentils
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or more baking sheets if increasing batch size).
- Add carrots to a small mixing bowl and drizzle with half of the oil (1 Tbsp or 15 ml), a pinch of each salt substitute and pepper, and 1/2 tsp curry powder. Toss to combine, then arrange on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 12 minutes. In the meantime, add bell pepper, onion, and broccoli to the same mixing bowl and drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbsp oil, salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp curry powder. Toss to combine.
- Once the carrots reach the 12-minute mark, remove them from the oven and increase the heat to 400℉. Add the peppers and broccoli to the pan. Then roast for 10-15 minutes more or until all vegetables are tender and slightly golden brown.
- In the meantime, add the kale to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, add the sesame oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, and apple cider vinegar and whisk to combine. Thin with water 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time until thin and pourable.
- Pour dressing over the kale and massage with hands or tongs/serving spoons. Spread the kale over a serving platter or keep it in a mixing bowl for serving. Top with lentils and set aside.
- Remove roasted vegetables from the oven and add to the salad and lentils. Garnish with fresh cilantro (optional).
- Enjoy immediately. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, though best when fresh.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fat: 6 g